Tuesday, April 29, 2008

NetLibrary and WorldCat - Thing #12

Setting up the NetLibrary account was a piece of cake. Finding a book to look at wasn't hard. But moving around the "book" was maddening. I'm used to Adobe Acrobat. The book looked like Adobe Acrobat, but it took me forever to realize that you turn the page by clicking in the upper right hand corner, not at the bottom of the page as in Acrobat. I could easily show a patron how to use this--I'm waiting for my first opportunity in the Lab!

WorldCat was fun to play with. Most of the items I searched for were part of the OCL system, but I had fun with my old friend, Swedish mystery writer, Henning Mankell. When I looked up Faceless Killers in large print, I found the nearest copy to be 10,200 miles away in Griffith, Australia!

Does our ILL Department use WorldCat? Will there be a time when the Circ Department does their own ILL work? Hmmmmmm?

No comments: