Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Technology Blogging - Thing #10

Yikes, I'm overwhelmed! My brain is totally fried by what's out there. How can anyone keep up with all the stuff? Reading the 20 Things to Watch bought up these random thoughts (on the stuff I could comprehend):

What's a Mobile Crackberry? Google sent me to a site for Blackberry addicts--how sad. Let's talk!
Spent this weekend in a car with a GPS--that woman's voice was so annoying and she got us lost!
Microblogging looks like a fun tool for extended families--an electronic family reunion.
A very smug elderly lady came into the library recently to tell us we'd never see her again. Her son was getting her a Kindle. Oh to curl up with a book by the fire with a glass of wine!
DVD's are making way for streaming video. I haven't gotten all our family videos on DVD yet!

David Pogue's blog had a terrific article, Turn Those Bytes Into Books. I've been working for years on a family cookbook complete with family photos. I was so proud when we put it on CD for our family members. Now I'm going to check out these new ideas.

Then I hit the technology blog and checked out a review of Skype's phone service. Our son gave us a webcam and Skype account because he and his wife were working in South Africa for 6 weeks. We just love it. We have "skyped" friends in London, Sweden, Slovakia, Missouri and, of course, Johannesburg. We only use the phone service when we are trying to contact someone.

I want to be a lifelong learner, but I can understand how too much information can turn you into a Luddite!

1 comment:

Vic from Bayville said...

Where is OUT THERE?
Do you mean "available" or "available on the Internet"
...or just out the window, or what?

Anyway I think these comments show how these exercises are opening your mind to 'whats out there'!

MUV