Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Library 2.0 - Thing #15

Hey, I'm not a librarian, but I know a good library when I see it! I hope that OCL will continue to meet the challenge of Web 2.0. Michael Stephens article about the new world of librarianship was down to earth and made a lot of sense. Keep up, but don't go overboard. I loved the terms "technolust" and "techno-worship." Continuous monitoring and conversations with our patrons is the only way to go. We have to be realistic in budgeting and purchasing. After all, it is the Ocean County taxpayer who is providing the funds for our growth.

I keep going back to that conversation with a "senior lady" who insisted that we as a library are doomed. Kindle will do us in. There are two extremes at work here--those of us who love to curl up with a book and those of us who are information junkees. The library is the place for both groups.

No comments: