Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Web Apps - Thing #18

I love it when I can show my computer-savvy guy anything "computer!" He plans to submit his Power Point presentation for the June Artist Guild show to Reference this way.

As an SLA and not terribly creative(!), the best use of Google Docs that I can think of for the library would be to put Circ procedures on a Google Doc and have a committee work on getting every step down for each task. I know the Albany Public Library had this on a wiki. Google Docs seems to be a more familiar tool, particularly to those who did not do the Web Things Challenge. I've found that procedures change constantly in TR. Anyone who comes in new and hasn't performed a particular task or doesn't get to do a task frequently needs written procedures for some of the more complicated tasks, such as running mailers or counting money. Being able to update frequently and with ease would make life so much simpler for the new employee and those who work with them and must answer 101 questions.

2 comments:

Vic from Bayville said...

I plan to put the ppt on google docs on Friday - with your help.
MUV
Savy Guy

Half-a-cup said...

I'll try my best!